Lobzy and Letná

Trail begins: Masarykova 589/150

First object: C15–589

Václav Fiala, 1932

Public transport: Pietas (TROL 11, 19)

GPS: 49.7482617N, 13.4133164E

Like Doubravka and several other municipalities in the vicinity of Pilsen, the village of Lobzy also joined the city in 1924. Outside the heart of the originally agricultural village, the new localities of Vyšehrad, Petřín and Letná saw a dynamic development at the time. The district of Letná began to emerge at the end of the 19th century in the northern part of the Lobzy district along the main road to Prague east of the Úslava River. Residential houses and complexes were complemented by smaller manufacturing businesses, which joined the older industrial plants in the wider area on both banks of the river. In the interwar period, the city concentrated part of its social housing construction in the area along Jateční Street in the vicinity of the marshalling yard and near the municipal slaughterhouse.

The diverse character of the area is also reflected in the content of the trail. The former role of Jateční Street is evidenced by a pair of surviving buildings doomed to decay – a gallery-accessed tenement house for the poor and an apartment building with a kindergarten (the rest of nearly two dozen buildings fell victim to a devastating raid in the spring of 1945). The trail also includes a set of municipal emergency houses, which were established in the late 1920s along Dlouhá Street. It presents the Kornfeld & Anders chocolate, wafer and confectionery factory, the paper and cardboard mill, the no longer existing meat market in the slaughterhouse premises, the modernist adaptation of the Eisner & Levit company and administrative villa, the house of the chief inspector of Municipal Parks Valentin Čoček, and other selected residential buildings.