Trail begins: Masarykova 823/104

First object: C14–823 Building of Luděk Pik’s Civil Schools

Hanuš Zápal, 1932

Public transport: Opavská (BUS 29, 30, TROL 16, 17)

Ke Kukačce (TROL 13)

GPS: 49.7517333N, 13.4137147E

One of the longest paths presents numerous examples, especially of architecture dating back to the First Czechoslovak Republic, which illustrate the significant transformation of the Doubravka district. This area, which became part of Pilsen in 1924, was created by the development and transformation of the village of the same name, which used to surround a village green on the spot of today’s intersection of Zábělská and Masarykova streets. The route extends to this place too, passing through the area roughly delimited by the railway line to Prague and Těšínská and Hřbitovní streets. The natural backbone of the trail is Masaryk Avenue, the axis of the development of the whole area. It was along this avenue where a system of regular street blocks, which also included a workers’ colony of small single-family houses, replaced the initial spontaneous growth of new buildings.

Most of the prominent buildings from the interwar period are concentrated along Masaryk Avenue: the Legionnaire House, whose morphology refers to the National Style, the functionalist building of Luděk Pik’s Civil Schools or the stylistically related houses of Dr Folprecht and builder Tomášek. The prolific Tomášek is signed under a number of the dozens of realizations of residential houses and residential housing complexes built in the area of Doubravka by several cooperatives, individual builders and the city. The trail also includes the no longer existing Svornost Cooperative House, the Doubravka Sokol Hall and the crematorium with columbarium in the Central Municipal Cemetery.