Fakultní nemocnice Bory / University Hospital – Bory Complex

(Plzeň) Plzeň Jižní Předměstí
GPS: 49.732094N, 13.376089E

The complex of the University Hospital Bory is a typical example of a hospital complex of the pavilion type where individual (and also mutually connected) departments are situated in detached premises with a park-like space spreading out between them. The complex of hospital buildings is situated in a north-south oriented belt between Edvarda Beneše Street and the Pilsen – Klatovy – Železná Ruda railway track in the Jižní Předměstí / Southern Suburb. In the year 1884, this location was chosen for the construction of a quarantine hospital (1895–1897). Even before construction commenced, the military hospital was moved to the adjacent plot, previously having operated on Dominikánská Street where it served the nearby barracks of the 35th Infantry Regiment. Due to its location in the north part of the area, the military hospital immediately neighboured other army premises. At the same time it was not far from the Home Guard barracks on present-day Štefánikovo Square.

The construction of the new hospital premises was realised over several time periods. As part of the first stage of building, the quarantine hospital’s Pavilions nos. 1 and 2 were completed (nowadays nos. 13 and 14) as well as an administrative building that today houses hospital management. A further extension took place in the years 1900–1902. The municipal hospital was founded at the same time, bearing the name Municipal General Public Hospital of the Emperor and King Franz Joseph I. to honour the 50-year-long reign of the Habsburg monarch. Within this stage, a pair of pavilions connected by a corridor were built (the present Pavilions nos. 3 and 4) and an administrative and technical building, presently used as Pavilions nos. 12 and 16. Next, the mortuary and disinfection room in Pavilion no. 9 were built.

In the period of 1915–1921, the third construction stage was realised, though substantially delayed due to the dismal situation during the First World War. During this stage, Pavilions nos. 5, 6, 8 and 12 were built, as well as the no-longer-existing Pavilion no. 15 and other technical premises of the boiler-room and laundry situated in the east side of the premises. The third stage was concluded by construction of the internal medicine (more precisely surgery) Pavilion no. 7 (1928–1931) by the Municipality of the City of Pilsen architect František Beneš. After the Czechoslovak Republic was founded the royal name was changed to General Hospital.

In the years 1940–1943, Infection Pavilion no. 2 (C3–1128I) was built to the design of Beneš’s colleague Václav Klein. The end of the Second World War saw damage to Pavilions nos. 5 and 8 by an Allied air-raid. The premises were gradually developed in the post-war era as well, when – due to the foundation of the Faculty of Medicine of Charles University in Pilsen – it was renamed the State University Hospital. In the year 1950, the so-called Connecting Pavilion no. 10 was built between Internal Medicine Pavilions nos. 3 and 4. In the early 1950s, a canteen (C3–1128J) was built as well as Pavilion no. 11 (C3–1128N) for nuclear medicine. The hospital complex was further complemented by smaller objects along the southern edge of the premises.

In the year 1973, the tallest pavilion was finished, no. 22, while Pavilion no. 21 was constructed in 1985. Development after the year 1989 did not bring any essential changes to the complex’s set-up. In the year 2005, it was merged with the neighbouring army hospital into one hospital complex under the common name University Hospital Pilsen – Bory Complex.


JČ – MK

Sources

  • mapy.plzen.eu
 
C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9