Complex of three terraced houses of Anna and Tomáš Dobrý
1928–1929

Čermákova 1857, 1858, 1859 / 32, 34, 36 (Plzeň) Plzeň Jižní Předměstí
GPS: 49.7334740, 13.3633983

Although the inconspicuous forms of this building may not suggest so at first glance, the three-terraced house on Čermákova Street is the work of the same author team as a nearby six-terraced house (C4–1763). The building was realised by the builder Tomáš Dobrý according to the design by the architect Vladimír Weingärtner. The building permit was issued in September 1928, and a year later the houses were approved for use. It was one of the first houses built in the block between Čermákova, Žižkova and Brožíkova Streets since the construction of the Historicist villa Libuše, which had been standing here – before the idea of a garden district was put in to practice at this location – alone in the fields for many years.

The house consists of three sections, two outer houses being mirror-symmetrical. Probably as early as at the design stage, the central part of the house was intended to be bought by the family of the author Vladimír Weingärtner. Tomáš Dobrý sold house no. 32 to Doctor Václav Zákoutský from Nečtiny, then house no. 36 to a mining official from Karviná, Václav Hanzlíček.

All parts of the building had, apart from the main house entrance, direct access to the rear of the garden. The side sections of the house were designed as housing for two families, that is with a separate apartment on each floor. Flats on the ground floor and the first floor had two rooms, a kitchen with pantry, a bathroom and a small gallery facing the garden. The middle section of the Weingärtner family was narrower, thus with one room less on the ground. Upstairs there were two separate rooms situated for both sons and the parents’ bedroom with a bathroom. The attic space was not residential; it was illuminated by smaller triangular dormers, which were later removed and replaced by skylights.

After its construction, the house underwent a number of partial modifications; however, a fundamental change was the realisation of new facades of house no. 34 and 36, including facade paint that did not correspond with the original colour of the Brizolit coloured plaster. This has survived only on the end house no. 32. On the middle part of the house the roofing from beaver tail tiles was, regrettably, replaced by aluminium sheets in 1984. Despte these adjustments, the building as a whole is still worthy of attention.

 

LR
 

Investor

Tomáš Dobrý

Sources

  • Archiv Odboru stavebně správního, Technický úřad Magistrátu města Plzně
 
C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9