Complex of six terraced houses of Tomáš Dobrý
1926–1927

Žižkova 1763/33, Čermákova 1763, 1765, 1764, 1754, 1781, 1755 / 30, 28, 26, 24, 22, 20 (Plzeň) Plzeň Jižní Předměstí
GPS: 49.7336959, 13.3639562

The set of six terraced houses on Čermákova Street near the Na Hvězdě square is one of the most valuable examples of cooperative construction in the villa neighbourhood of Bezovka. Uniformly designed houses were built during the largest construction boom of the district in the 1920s – final building approval was granted in 1927. The author of the complex was a professor at the Pilsen Secondary School of Civil Engineering, Vladimír Weingärtner. The plans and the realisation were implemented by the local builders Tomáš Dobrý and Antonín Kurel. The houses were built in keeping with plans still preserved to this day, stamped by both builders. The neighbouring triple house of Tomáš and Anna Dobrý (C4–1857) was also built on the basis of Vladimír Weingärtner’s design in 1929, its middle part being the family home of the Weingärtner family.

The "six-house" consists of two end and four terraced sections, the inner sections being two axially symmetrical pairs. The most distinct architectural feature is the contrast between the bare brickwork and the monochrome plaster, complete with a stone base. The bare brickwork accentuates the divides between the houses, as well as the framing on the sides of the windows on the ground floor and small decorative elements in the gables of both end sections. The north-western garden facade of the middle section of the house has a simpler form and only a plaster coat. The original colour of external plasters has been preserved to a great extent; however, the ingrained light sand grey plaster has been covered by modern painting in some parts of the house. Both pairs of entrances to the middle sections of the house are highlighted by geometric overdoors in a red-coloured plaster. The gables of both end parts suppress the usual routine seriality of terraced houses and enhance the monumentality of the entire complex.

The layout of the houses met the period requirements for modern housing. The central element of each section was a staircase connecting the public, ground floor part (kitchen, living room) with the private part (children's rooms and bedroom) upstairs. A small room for the maid was also located upstairs. Given the relatively economical formulation of the houses, their layout included rooms which do not meet present requirements for residential rooms; thus, the attic, previously non-residential, is occupied nowadays.

 

LR
 

Investor

Tomáš Dobrý

Sources

  • Archiv Odboru stavebně správního, Technický úřad Magistrátu města Plzně
 
C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9