Apartment and commercial building of Anna and Jan Matoušek, and of Anna and Jaroslav Šíp
1934–1935

Klatovská třída 2081/35, U Trati 2081/61 (Plzeň) Plzeň Jižní Předměstí
GPS: 49.7396280N, 13.3714020E

Undoubtedly the most exposed building by the bridge over the railway line to Domažlice and Cheb on the route out of the city centre is the double four-storey commercial and apartment corner house at Nos. 35 and 37 Klatovská Street, which belonged to the entrepreneurial married couple Jan Matoušek and Anna Matoušková. They ordered the plans for the building in the summer of 1934 from their favourite architect, František Němec Jr., with whom they also collaborated on a number of other construction projects in the newly-forming district of Na Belánce (C3–2079, C3–346, C3–2151).

Because of the key location of the house, the proposal for the architectural design of the facade underwent many changes and comments from the Pilsen City Council and its artistic committee, the first of which were initiated particularly in relation to the opposite elevated corner house of the builder Josef Špalek Sr. (C3–2074). Even the prominent Pilsen architect Bohumil Chvojka gave an opinion on the new form of the facade. In the successful final project, the rounded corner was raised so that in that section at least the house would have the appearance of four storeys, thereby corresponding to the height of the Špalek house. This concept also built on the similar design of the facade of another of the Matoušeks’ nearby buildings, the corner house No. 41 (C3–2079). Running to the corner from both sides are slightly arched vertical bands tiled with ochre ceramic tiles, supporting the impression of a "tall building”, which the committee demanded. The spaces between the windows in the protruding smooth "Brizolit" cement rendered parts of the facade are tiled with clinker tiles of darker colour.

The new building contained commercial spaces on the ground floor with large, modern display windows. Each of the upper floors contained one- to three-room flats, each with kitchen, bathroom and a maid's room. At present the corner part of the double house is still in very good condition. The windows were replaced with respect for their original composition and colour of the frames, which is important for the overall architectural look of the house. The adjacent part of No. 37 was unfortunately supplied during reconstruction with windows with brown frames, which together with the decadent visual culture of the display windows in the parterre of the building detract from the unified architectural appearance.

 


 

Investor

Jan Matoušek and Anna Matoušková

Sources

  • Archiv Odboru stavebně správního, Technický úřad Magistrátu města Plzně
  • Jiří Fořt, Změny v názvech plzeňských ulic a náměstí v průběhu novodobých dějin a jejich historická podmíněnost (bakalářská práce), katedra historie FPE ZČU, Plzeň 2012.
 
C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9