Apartment house of Hynek Fischer
1913

Bezručova 152/7 (Plzeň) Plzeň Vnitřní Město
Public transport: Náměstí Republiky
Muzeum
GPS: 49.7453400N, 13.3771222E

The four-storey house in Bezručova Street (formerly Andělská) forms part of the valuable architecture of the historic core of Pilsen’s urban heritage reservation. According to archival sources, the house was built in 1913 under the supervision of Hynek Fischer, one of its co-owners, as a “new four-storey residential building and a two-storey courtyard building with a basement and a raised ground floor" on the site of an older two-storey building. The author of the construction documentation and probably of the design itself was the Pilsen builder Ferdinand Kout.

The street frontage of the building, which is considerably higher than both neighbouring houses, distinguishes itself at first sight from the Historicist facades of the surrounding buildings, dating mostly from the second half of the 19th century. It stands out for its proportional arrangement as well as its sculptural quality, achieved by means of right-angled shapes and geometric forms that progress beyond the Secession style. The main facade is given a firm shape by means of projecting lesene frames that also accentuate its division into three bays. The tectonic layout, which contributes to the grandeur of the building, is legible also in the size of the windows on the individual floors. A smaller scale and regular rhythm is brought to the facade by balustrades beneath the window sills of the first floor. An integral component of the street-side facade’s composition is a balcony separating the parterre (originally intended for commercial space) from the piano nobile. The whole is topped on the street elevation by an arched sheet-metal roof with a minimum overhang and a three-light dormer window, which lights part of the loft living space.

In the 1980s the ground-floor part of the building was rehabilitated and a Luxus shoe store was subsequently established in the parterre. The facades were repaired and restored in 1995 and in later years the house underwent modifications to the interiors of the courtyard wing as well as the residential part for the operation of a music club and two cafés.

 

PB
 

Investor

Hynek Fischer

Sources

  • Archiv Odboru stavebně správního, Technický úřad Magistrátu města Plzně
 
C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9