Ludwig Tremmel

Date of birth: 24. 4. 1875 Vídeň

Death date: 1. 12. 1946 Vídeň

Biography

Ludwig Tremmel was born in Vienna on the 24th of May 1875 to the carpenter Franz Joseph Tremmel and his wife Maria. In the year 1894, he graduated from the State Trade School in Vienna and in the years 1895–1898 he studied with Professor Viktor Luntz at the Academy of Fine Arts. Viktor Luntz, who was the site manager during construction of the Vienna City Hall, was among other things a collaborator with Max Fleischer, author of the first, unrealised design of the New (or Great) Synagogue in Pilsen. It was Luntz’s traditionalist view of architecture (opposing the reforming efforts of Otto Wagner) that influenced the young Tremmel, who made abundant use of references to historical architecture styles in most of his work – his inspiration from Baroque and Classicist architecture is very apparent. After his studies, Tremmel worked as an architect in the office of the Governor of Lower Austria for a short time. In the year 1907, he left for Pilsen, where he stayed until the end of the First World War. At this time, he was the chief architect of the Škoda Works (both in Pilsen and Mladá Boleslav) as well as a teacher at the German State Trade School in Pilsen on Nerudova Street. He had his studio in the apartment house at no. 24 Skrétova Street.

Tremmel literally filled Pilsen with his realisations, apart from his design for the Škoda Works these were mainly apartment houses for private investors. In the historical centre of Pilsen there was, for example, an apartment house with shopfronts for the Master Brewer of the Burghers Brewery in Pilsen, Adolf Bayer, at no. 13. Bedřicha Smetany Street, with a branch of the Anglo-Austrian Bank (1912–1914, C1–159) on the ground floor. Nowadays, the object is used by the Municipal Library of Pilsen. Further realisations of Ludwig Tremmel’s designs can be found on Sedláčkova, Riegrova, Františkánská, Zbrojnická and Dřevěná Streets as well as on Republic Square. Tremmel’s works in Pilsen are characterised in particular by dominant stucco elements on the facades, the use of differently structured plasters and richly profiled and markedly protruding crown mouldings. During his time in Pilsen, Tremmel also took part in public architecture open calls – for instance the designs of the Town Theatre in Most, the evangelical church in Vítkov in Silesia and colonnades in Mariánské Lázně.

After the end of the First World War, Tremmel returned to Vienna, where he worked as a teacher again and also as an architect until the Second World War broke out. In the inter-war period, he began to gradually turn away from Historicism, his buildings assuming simpler geometrical facades accentuated by the use of contrasting colours. After returning to his homeland, he was awarded the Knight Cross 1st Class for Merit to the Republic of Austria. He died after a severe illness in Vienna on the 1st of December 1946.

 

LR

Selection of other works

1904
General Directorate of the Tobacco Works in Vienna

1905–1908
University Institute of Hygiene at the Children’s Hospital in Vienna

1907
Apartment houses in Vienna

1909
Elementary school in Waidhofen

1910
Orthopaedic sanatorium in Vienna
Factory in České Budějovice

1910–1911
Apartment house of the builder Václav Friš in Pilsen

1911
Department Store Vesecký (“Dům látek” today), no. 8 Františkánská St., Pilsen
Apartment house, no. 198 Sedláčkova St., Pilsen

1911–1917
Experimental Institute, south wall fence, hall no. 55 and canteen no. 56 on the Škoda Works premises, Pilsen

1911–1912 and 1912–1913
Apartment buildings and shopfronts of Viktorie May-Hrubá and Jaroslav V. Feyerfeil on Republic Square, Pilsen

1912
Adaptation of the facade of the house of Heinrich Fürth, Americká Ave., Pilsen
Apartment house, no. 210 Sedláčkova St., Pilsen

1912–1913
Building of the Anglo-Austrian Bank in Vienna
Apartment house of the City Chief Secretary František Plzák, V Bezovce, Pilsen

1913
Reconstruction of the Hotels Krantz and Continental, Vienna
Cannon Factory, Raab
State Business School, Pilsen
Bank Palace, no. 158 Bedřicha Smetany St., Pilsen
Apartment building, no. 224 Riegrova St., Pilsen
Apartment building, no. 111 Zbrojnická St., Pilsen
Apartment building, no. 99 Dřevěná St., Pilsen
Branch of the Austro-Hungarian Bank, České Budějovice

1914
Sanatorium for Wounded Employees of the German Social Care Department, Pilsen
Apartment building, no. 249 Sedláčkova St., Pilsen

1914–1917
Various buildings of the Škoda Works in Mladá Boleslav

1914–1922
The building of German Technical Schools, Majerova St., Pilsen (Secondary School of Mechanical Engineering and Professor Švejcar Secondary School today)

1915–1916
Canteen of the Škoda Works practice shooting range, Pilsen–Bolevec

1916–1919
Halls in the complex of the United Machine Works, corp., Pilsen–Doudlevce

1923
Apartment blocks for employees of the Tauern Railway, Mallnitz, Austria

1924–1926
Municipal residential house, Vienna

1929–1930
Residential building for employees of the tobacco factory, Krems, Austria

1930
Gateway of a pharmacy, Vienna

1930–1931
Residential complex and administrative building of the Pension Institute Management, Vienna

1931
Municipal apartment building, Vienna

1933–1936
Reconstruction and the facade of the Capuchin Church, Vienna

C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9