Adolf Hrussa

Date of birth: 1876 Vídeň

Biography

Adolf Hrussa, originally from Vienna, was a prominent architect and teacher of the first half of the 20th century, active not only in Pilsen, but in the whole border area of South West Bohemia, in particular Horšovský Týn. He also worked in Vienna, Linz and Děčín. Between the years 1906 and 1928, he taught at the German Technical School in Pilsen. He then moved to Děčín, where he started teaching at the State Trade School and was also an expert adviser to the Municipality. He was a member of the altruistic club The Independent Order of Odd Fellows as well.

Although Adolf Hrussa is seen primarily as a Modernist, a contemporary and successor of Adolf Loos today, the beginnings of his work were strongly influenced by Historism of the 19th century and the architecture of Baroque and Empire. He accentuated these periods in his teaching activity. He designed religious, public and private residential buildings and interiors – among them the adaptation of the house of Hugo and Oskar Semler at no. 19 Klatovská Avenue in Pilsen still stands out today (C1–289).


Selection of other works

after 1910
Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel on Šibeniční Hill near Horšovský Týn
School building in Valdorf
Design of the facade of house no. 20 on Husova Street, Pilsen 

1920s 
Family house on Karlovarská Street, Pilsen-Lochotín

1926
Additional (4th) storey of the house of the Friedler family, no. 12 Klatovská Avenue in Pilsen

C0C1C2C3C4C5C6C7C8C9